Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of frequently asked questions for SVA Financial Aid.

Click on the question to see it’s answer. If you don’t see your question on this list or if you need further clarification about something then please send an email to

All students must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as the first step in the application process. The fastest way to apply is online at You can electronically sign your application using your federal pin or download, sign and mail the certification page when you have finished the online application.

You can file your paper FAFSA by mailing it to the Central Processing System however the fastest way is to file on-line at

The optimal filing date for new students to submit their FAFSA is February 1; transfer students by February 15; and returning students by March 1. Applications are processed and reviewed for eligibility on a first-come, first-serve basis. We encourage all students to file as early as possible.

The federal school code for SVA is 007468 and should be listed when filing your FAFSA.

Our school code for New York State’s Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is 7858 for undergraduate programs. This code should be listed when you file the NYS Express TAP Application.

Yes, a new application is required every year. You will receive a FAFSA renewal application, either in the mail or if you filed on-line by way of an e-mail from the Department of Education. You may also complete a new FAFSA on-line at or by picking one up in our office.

Our office will make every effort to send you an offer letter within 2-3 weeks (depending on the time of year) of receiving your FAFSA results. The fastest way is to log on to MyServices Financial Aid to view your online offer letter.

Except for Federal Work Study, all awards will be considered valid and deducted from your tuition bill. Awards listed as “Accepted” on your tuition bill have been approved and require no further action from you. Awards listed as “Estimated” or “Pending” require additional information and form(s) from you before they are finalized. If you do not comply with this additional request within the given timeframe the award will “Expire” and you will be billed for any remaining semester balance. Students may renew expired awards by complying with the outstanding requirement before the end of each semester.

Depending on the awards listed in your Offer Letter, you may be asked to complete additional forms or attend information sessions such as Entrance Counseling. For example, a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and the “Informed Borrower Confirmation” are required if you’re interested in borrowing a Federal Stafford Loan. Additional application materials and information for each award program is provided with the award offer. Please review it carefully and notify us with any questions.

Federal regulations require students to attend Entrance Counseling before they receive funding through any of the self-help programs (Federal Stafford Loans and Federal Work-Study). Entrance Counseling is an information session explaining your rights and responsibilities regarding these award programs. Entrance Counseling can be completed at

Once approved, awards are paid to your tuition account as funds are received from each source of aid. Typically, funds begin to be received and paid the second week of the semester. Any funds received in excess of your directly billed charges (tuition, fees, and residence costs) will be refunded to you approximately 10 business days after those funds are received. Please note that refunds of financial aid are made after the course adjustment period for each semester ends.

You can view the disbursement schedule for the following academic years below.


Generally any matriculating student attempting six or more credits during the summer semester may be eligible for aid. We encourage all students interested in summer assistance to contact a financial aid advisor.

For the status of your FAFSA application visit

For the status of your federal education loan applications visit

For the status of your private education loan applications visit

Yes. Students who drop below full-time registration status (minimum 12 credits) will have their financial aid eligibility affected as a result. Please contact your financial aid advisor for additional information.